Monday, March 15, 2010

Dabble of Color


Today I decided to post my first watercolor landscape. I copied this from a photo in a book that I had, and it turned out rather nicely. The scanner wasn't able to capture the entire image as the page I painted it on was bigger than the actual scanner haha. Plus it seems like the paper crumbled from the water a little bit. Unfortunately I didn't paint it on watercolor paper, so it won't stay down very flat, but overall I think I did an awesome job, especially for my first attempt at a watercolor landscape.

For the most part of the painting, I used plain watercolor paint for whatever didn't have a lot of detail, such as the sky and the sand and the dune. But for the detailing, such as the waves and the grass, I used Derwent watercolor pencils to sketch out the details and brushed over it with water to create the watercolor feel to it.

I want to start developing my watercolor skills rather than to just be a sketch artist, because I feel the use of colors takes a lot of real talent, and that is something I want to explore. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment